Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Udder Delights

24 November 2008

As always I was excited on Friday to hear that the latest issue of small is online. And as always it is filled with beautiful imagery and products. Click here to read my last rave about small.

Image Source: small magazine

This beautifully styled fashion shoot, 'Portraits by Maxine Helfman', caught my eye with the gorgeous rich colours and the quirky little critters the models are holding.

It turns out that the Luna and Walking Hood dolls are by Aussie artist Fliss Dodd of Udder. Aren't they magical? Fliss is a mother of a 6 year old and a 3 year old and she started Udder after becoming frustrated with all the plastic and synthetic kids toys on the market. She wanted to be able to give her children a handmade toy made with love from fabric. Check out her fabric stash!

Image Source: Craft Victoria blog

This is what Fliss told me about her whimsical creations:
I have been making them for the past 2.5 years and what I love about what I do is creating toys from recycled fabrics and mixing them with new fabrics to create a piece to be loved which was made with love. Some fabrics (even clothing) which may of once been discarded are able to be given a new life. I love creating and fabric is so wonderful to work with because I can really recycle.
Image Source: Udder

I can really relate to what Fliss says about the value of handmade things for children (and for all of us). I want to instill that in my daughter and not have her fall prey to the proliferation of disposable plastic toys. Living in the city in this crazy world I think that's a hard task, but certainly not impossible. Seeing these Udder delights has inspired me to make some crazy mice for my mouse-crazy girl... now if I could just find the time.

For more Udder magic and whimsy check out Fliss's blog here, and there is an interview with Fliss on the craft Victoria blog here.

Udder's etsy shop will be updated with new things tomorrow - check it out here, and there is a "where to buy page" on the Udder blog.

The Winter 08 issue of small is here.

--------------------------------------------------------------