Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Affordable Wall Art

11 July 2011

Now that the Design Files post is up I'll show you some more corners of my home over the next few weeks. One of the things that I enjoy doing is utilising inexpensive and unexpected things as "art". It's fantastic to have wonderful art on your walls but often you need a more affordable alternative.

Two of the things I have around my home pretending to be art are tea towels and vintage board games.


The tea towel above is from Able & Game. I love it so much. I glued a narrow piece of white cardboard to the top edge at the back of the tea towel and when it was dry I simply added Blu-Tac to attach it to the wall. A couple of small pieces of Blu-Tac hold the bottom corners in place.

Below is a typographic tea towel from Yardage Design. The great thing is that if you get sick of them as art you can always use the tea towels in your kitchen.

Vintage board games also make fun and graphic artworks. I picked up both the Bingo and Video Village games at markets for a couple of dollars each. You can also find them on eBay and Etsy, but usually for a higher price. I always keep my eyes open at garage sales, fetes, markets etc for vintage ephemera. You never know what you might find.




There are so many designers printing lovely things on tea towels these days. These examples by Leah Duncan would look gorgeous in any room.


 I'll follow up with a second instalment of ideas for affordable wall art next week.
.
.