Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

before & after

23 August 2008


I think I could happily spend a lot of time finding vintage chairs and revamping them. Although I must admit that I actually get the professionals to do the revamping, but I do enjoy finding fabric and seeing the results. The shapes of '30s and '40s chairs really appeal to my design asthetic.

The chairs in the top images were a bargain buy in a second hand shop - I just love the curve of the arms. We had the timber professionally restored and bought the heavy cotton French fabrics from ici et la in Surry Hills. They have the most wonderful collection of striped fabrics in a feast of scrumptious colours. Because the fabric is very wide the stripe on each of the chairs is different, which reminds me of Camper "twins" shoes: they're the same, but not.

We bought the 1930's bedroom chair from an estate auction at a deco house in Dover Heights. It was an amazing home filled with the original art deco furniture. It was a shame to see the house contents being dispersed, although I guess it also meant that new generations would get to enjoy and love each item. I had the chair covered in pink floral barkcloth which I bought in Hawaii a number of years ago. I think it really suits the chair and gives the old girl some of her former style back.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------