Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Reading

16 May 2011

Isn't this autumnal weather just perfect for reading? Our weather seems to have changed dramatically in the last couple of weeks. It doesn't feel like we've had a gradual build up to the cold this year. The nights are chilly and perfect for snuggling under the doona consumed by a good book, and the days are just glorious for relaxing in the sun. Our Sydney skies are clear and vibrant blue with not a cloud to be seen. It's lovely to sit in our back living area soaking up the warmth from the sun with a cup of green tea and a magazine or newspaper. Usually this only happens at breakfast time, or weekday lunch breaks when the house is quiet. I've been catching up on the last issue of frankie, and devouring the latest Uppercase, which arrived in the mail last week.


Following your suggestions the other week, I bought and borrowed a few books and this is my latest pile:



I read Room in 2 sittings because I just couldn't put it down. It's written in the voice of a child and because of this the subject matter, which is pretty disturbing, is given a different perspective. I found it compelling, sad, and wonderful all at the same time. A fantastic book.

Like Being a Wife is a collection of short stories by Australian author Catherine Harris. I have been dipping in and out of this book and sometimes laughing out loud as I do so. It's an engaging and entertaining read.

I enjoyed The Elegance of the Hedgehog, but didn't really get into it until a fair way in. I became more engrossed the further I got into the book and ended up really enjoying it.

The Help is a bestseller and I can see why - it was another book that I found hard to put down right from chapter one. Loved it.

I borrowed Cloud Atlas from the library (hence the plastic cover!), and I have found it hard going in the early stages. I have put it aside for now, but want to pick it up again.

Currently by my bedside is The Master Butcher's Singing Club (also from the library, and not pictured), which I am thoroughly enjoying.

These two lovelies are my latest purchases:



I have never bought an interior decorating book before... I am inspired enough by the magazines and blogs I read. But I just had to get Decorate, as I have been a long time reader of decor8 the blog, and Modern Vintage Style was calling my name. To be honest I've only flicked through both of these books as yet... and at first glance they are both gorgeous! I have also pre-ordered Design Sponge at Home, so my collection of interiors books will soon total 3.

What are you enjoying reading at the moment?
.