Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Emily Valentine

19 February 2010


Feathers are my paint. Over the last ten years I have developed my own technique and style using feathers from road kill, cat kill and dead pets. Recently I have moved into a new source of feathers. I have been trapping and killing the registered pest, the Indian Mynah bird.

In my work I wish to discuss how attitudes to wearing animals and birds parts have changed. Is this just because of fashion, or has society become more caring of animals? I wish to stimulate the viewer with the uncomfortable nature of the feather, to question our callousness treatment of animals and birds, and ask how we sub-consciously classify animals – pet or pest, valued or worthless, beautiful or plain and why.

Emily Valentine

Image Source: Emily Valentine

Isn't that first image a show stopper! I feel both attracted and repelled (which I guess is the desired reaction)... how about you?

.