Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Shopping in Tokyo Part 2 :: Design Festa

27 May 2009

Apologies for the very late post today. You know some days things just get away from you and before you know it you're transferring your list of things to do on to tomorrow's page in your diary? That's how it's been for me today.

Yesterday I promised today's post would be about Design Festa. Our family holiday to Japan last year coincided with Design Festa and I vowed to do my best to get back to Tokyo each year for the event (especially with bargain flights from Jetstar making it so affordable). Design Festa is held twice a year and if you're interested in shopping for independent art and craft it's one for your calendar. There are also stages for various acts and areas and performance art... something for everyone as far as art goes.

This year crochet and needle felting seemed to be very much in vogue. The 'miset' sign below was entirely crocheted. And did you see the gorgeous earrings in my post yesterday which I bought at Design festa?


And of course being Japan, 'cute' is always in.


Naturally there are a lot of fun and interesting ways people showcase their work... like putting embroidered brooches in a madeline tray. Who would've thought?


With nearly 3000 exhibitors there's always so much to see - and it's people-watching heaven.


A lot of artists use their stall space as a canvas for their art, and many are creating the entire time. This guy was hand carving the most beautiful stamps.


A few more random images:


These were the most incredibly detailed scenes created in small boxes. They were displayed on black plinths against black walls and lit by black desk lamps. They were so amazing and there were so many people crowding around that it was impossible to get any decent photos.


I bought my goddaughter a lovely little painting, but I didn't photograph it because I know her mum will be reading this. [Hi Donna!] I also bought a few books and postcards by some very talented artists, which I'll share in another post. The photo below shows one of my favourite purchases of my whole trip: a quirky little softie guy. He's only about 8cm (just over 3 inches) tall and is so sweet - made from linen and hand embroidered. There's also an embroidered book cover and a little coaster backed with handwoven fabric. Please excuse the unironed fabric background!


And lastly from Design Festa this necklace and brooch made from felt.


Once I get them photographed I'll show you the cards and a few books I bought from Design Festa artists. And hopefully I'll find some of their websites so you can see more. As you can probably see it's visual overload, and a wonderful way to spend a day or two.
.