Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Inspiration and I *Heart* Fridays: I *Heart* the work of Catherine Martin

10 October 2008

I have to admit to a design crush on the work of Catherine Martin, and also some degree of professional envy. I absolutely love her amazing new ranges of wallpaper created for Porters Paints and rugs for Designer Rugs. Catherine has created 4 ranges: Australiana, Chinois (derived from the Chinese and Japanese influences on 1930's Darwin), Lace, and a Children's suite. I *heart* that she has created a range that is uniquely Australian and very different to anything else on the market. You'll see that some of her designs are quite structured and formal yet they also manage to look contemporary. Her colour palettes are just beautiful and she has a wonderful way of combining pattern. Just check out the hallway of her home - all that monochromatic pattern on pattern... I love it! And I would have her daughter's room in a flash - those stripes, florals and circus patterns all combine to create a visual feast. So many designers have interpreted the circus theme in the past, but to my mind, none as successfully as the fresh spin Catherine has put on it.

My professional envy... well she has an impressive career as the costume and set designer on a number of films including the visually compelling Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge, and the soon to be released epic Australia. And now she is living my professional dream of creating pattern and design for interior decoration and homewares.
I can't wait to see the manchester, soft furnishings and a tabletop range which are next on her agenda... *big sigh*

I hope you enjoy these images as much as I do.

Happy Friday!

Image Source:
Top: Vogue Living and Home Beautiful magazines.
Rugs: Designer Rugs

-----------------------------------------------------